In order to enable your Keithley DAQ6510 or DMM6500 to stream data to Initial State, you must install some firmware upgrades to your instrument. This new firmware adds the following capabilities:
- Native Streaming connection between Keithley instrument and Initial State.
- UI and Touch screen elements to configure your measurements and streaming configurations.
- Automation scripting API that allow targeting Initial State through the TSP command set.
There are three steps to updating your instrument. (1) Get the new firmware and app on to a USB stick. (2) Install the upgraded firmware that adds Initial State API support. (3) Install and run the Initial State app on the Keithley instrument to add the configuration screens to the unit. (4) Check your work.
Step 1: Download Firmware to USB stick
There are two files needed to install the proper firmware on your Keithley instrument. You will need to get both files onto a USB memory stick to transfer them to the unit.
Download the firmware and app appropriate for your instrument below and transfer to USB memory stick:
- DAQ6510 Firmware and app
- DMM6500 Firmware and app
- Firmware update - TBD
- Initial State App - TBD
Step 2: Install Firmware to Keithley Instrument
Move the USB stick containing the firmware (*.upg) and Initial State app (*.tspa) to your Keithley Instrument. Power on the instrument.
- Press the "MENU" button
- Navigate to "Info/Manage" in the "System" column
- For Beta purposes, we are going to use the "Downgrade to Older" functionality to install the new firmware. I know this is not intuitive, it just works this way for this beta. Clicking the button begins the install immediately. It uses the file from the installed USB stick. You should make sure the instrument is connected to a reliable power source and that the USB drive only contains one .UPG file.
- The update will take a few minutes and show progress bars on the front panel. Once it is complete, you will receive an UPGRADE COMPLETE message and an option to RESTART. Click Restart to start the instrument with the new firmware.
Step 3: Install the Initial State App to the Keithley Instrument
At this point, make sure the USB stick containing the *.tspa file is still in your unit. This application adds new UI functionality to the swipe menus for a scan. These new UI elements allow you to configure your Initial State access key and bucket name. We will talk about configuring these items in the next step of the tutorial.
- Click the "Apps" physical button on the front panel of your Keithley instrument.
- With your USB stick loaded with the *.tspa file and installed click the USB tab, and you should see the Initial State app icon.
- Click the Initial State app icon. It highlights with a yellow border.
- Click the "Run" button.
- OPTIONAL: You can also make sure that the app is saved to your local apps so that you do not need to have the USB stick inserted next time you run the app. To save to the local system. Click the "Save to Disk" icon next to "Run"
Step 4: Check Your Work
After you have completed these tasks there are two places to verify everything is correct.
- Click Home and swipe the bottom menu until you see the new Initial State screen.
- Click to the scan configuration menu and verify that Initial State is an option for "Export Destination" (Menu >> Scan >> Scan (Tab) >> Export Destination)