What would you like to see next?

Deleting individual data points inside a bucket

This request comes from an issue of sometimes a multisensor in my Home Automation System sends out a crazy wild erroneous reading and it then totally throws of the charting/graph visual.

Would be nice to be able to delete single data points or a group/chunk of data points inside of a bucket for times like this. Thanks!

29 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JTroskaJTroska shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Initial State TeamAdminInitial State Team (Support Lead, Initial State) responded  · 

Real-time expressions provide the ability to filter out unwanted data points and data ranges in Tiles and Waves (http://support.initialstate.com/knowledgebase/articles/1093294-real-time-expressions-filter-out-unwanted-data).

For accounts that do not have real-time expressions, you can set the min/max y-axis for line graphs and min/max range for gauge views to prevent an erroneous data point from dominating the view in Tiles. See http://support.initialstate.com/knowledgebase/articles/871260-tiles-set-line-view-min-and-or-max-y-axis for details.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BobBob commented  · 

Strongly agree with "james wolf" as I just ran into the same issue with erroneous data and basically destroying the dataset. Having the ability to delete data from the source view would make this issue manageable.

• james wolfjames wolf commented  · 

This would be simple if you just made the Source ( https://app.initialstate.com/#/source ) line editable fields, or even if you made lines removable by line number.

I just started paying for your service and only now realize that when an errant number comes in, it basically destroys the data set. It make all the views you have look wonky. Your solution to destroy the data in the bucket and recreate doesn't make sense because we are forced to lose the whole history. To me, as an application developer myself, it seems like deleting records my line number on the Source view would be the easiest solution for you to implement quickly and with few code changes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Is there a single filter expression to filter out data <0 and >8000. I've tried several but am missing it. I don't suppose there's a way to save a filtered data set so you don't have to enter the filter each time?

• Tim HodgeTim Hodge commented  · 

> We are working on a big update to expressions

That's fine, but actually being able to remove bad data would be way better. Instead of fudging expressions and views, just point, click, delete.

> you can set the min/max y-axis for line graphs

It's close, but not perfect: http://i.imgur.com/egpek1F.png . The graph is better but you're still displaying the bad data point above it.

• Initial State TeamAdminInitial State Team (Support Lead, Initial State) commented  · 

For scenarios of test data, we recommend simply using a new bucket key and archiving the old bucket with the test data. This ensures that when you have clean data, or "versioned" data, you have it separated into logical buckets

• Robert ReadRobert Read commented  · 

Agree, would liek to delete test data from a bucket once I have it working the way I want.
        Happy if the option was to just delete all data in the bucker as I suspect that is easier to implement than deleting a range.

• Tony AbbeyTony Abbey commented  · 

I can only see how to set the min and max value of a tile - it would be good if that set the min/max for all the views of that variable. I have exactly the same problem as JTroska, so deleting or correcting the point from the data in "Save as a file" would still be useful.

• HarveyHarvey commented  · 

This would be excellent!

• Timothy SwieterTimothy Swieter commented  · 

Sorry, typo there, I mean..."delete data in a bucket". Without removing the bucket.

• Timothy SwieterTimothy Swieter commented  · 

Is there access through the API to delete data in a box, individual events or all data?

Feedback and Knowledge Base